Space to Read is a free online series, for you to relax and dip into books and find connections across a theme.
This session's books
This session's theme is Black Feminisms. Alexia will be reading from:
Abolition. Feminism. Now by Angela Davis, Gina Dent, Erica Meiners & Beth Richie
Undrowned: Black Feminist Lessons from Marine Mammals by Alexis Pauline Gumbs
What to Expect
There's no requirement to have read the books or even have heard of them beforehand. Each session will go something like this:
- intro to the books
- a listening 'warm up', to connect us all to the art of listening in a very busy world
- Alexia will spend 20 minutes reading aloud from the first book, followed by 20 minutes reading aloud from the second book
- there will be time at the end for reflection before the session closes
About the Host
Alexia Pepper de Caires is a bookmonger in Birmingham who runs Back To Books - a non-profit community bookspace that platforms radical and representative reading in all its forms.
The ethos of Everyday Writes Spaces
Everyday Writes spaces are anti-racist, anti-homophobic, affirming of trans people and people of all genders, value the lived experience of all participants, and aim to be actively inclusive and accessible. Please only come along if you share these values.
You might also like to know:
- This event takes place on Zoom
- Auto-Transcript is always enabled for online spaces
- these events are not recorded or shared
- you can choose whether to have your camera on or off
- all events are designed to be introvert friendly
- there is no pressure to share, just come as you are on the day
Want to come along?
This event is free. Order your ticket on this page to book your place. We'll send you the Zoom link by email before the event, and see you there!
Email Nadia: email@example.com